Monday, January 24, 2011

I have a confession. Since moving to the frozen north, I have cooked every single meal from scratch. No joke. Every single meal.

Now, for some people this may not seem like a big deal. But, those who know me best know that, while I love to cook, I also love to eat out! Despite that we have sworn off eating out until our first payday at the end of the month, so homemade meals have been taken to new heights.

Here are a few things I've made to eat this month:

1. Pierogies from scratch (I made the dough and the filling)
2. Chicken and dumplings (I made the broth using a stewing hen and biscuits from scratch)
3. Fresh Pasta and sauce
4. Southwestern noodle bowls,
5. Sweet potato hash with mortadella

On top of making dinner totally from scratch, I'm also making bread twice a week to feed the masses of my clan. I'm already on my second bag of flour and will probably need to buy a third during our next trip to the grocery store.

The effort of all of this has been worth it. Food has never tasted so good. Maybe that's because we pay for it all ourselves now, but I hope that it's because everyday I'm feeding my family with food that comes from the heart.

What's your favorite home-cooked meal?

On the menu tonight: Tandoori Chicken with homemade Chapati bread and Raita

1 comment:

  1. My favorite home-cooked meal is wedding pasta - always brings back good memories. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete