Saturday, March 13, 2010

Getting Older....but not wiser

I have to face the truth...

I turn 30 in less than two weeks and I admit, I can't decide how I feel about it. Thirty years, I realize, is fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of life, but it seems like it should be a big deal.

It seems like there should be a huge party or vacation that announces to the world that I've achieved...something. Though I don't know what that would be.

I have a great deal already. I'm well on my way to an average life. I married an amazing man (almost 7 years ago now) and have two crazy children who keep me on my toes day after day. Mine is a blessed and happy life.

So why does thirty feel like it should offer something more?

Maybe it's the fact that I won't be twenty something anymore. Thirty means I'm well past the carelessness of my youth, but it doesn't necessarily bring with it the wisdom or perspective of being older.

Maybe turning thirty is nothing more than another day of the year. Maybe turning thirty is just about getting older and nothing more.

2 comments:

  1. I am a year behind but I still am dreading it in a tiny way, but trying to shake that. I have a feeling that the anticipation is worse than the actual event. I always liked thinking that "in my 20's" was considered "young", and that somehow "young" is synonymous with "cool". But more and more, I have so many amazingly cool friends in their 30's and 40's completely demolishing that theory. You should have a big party, to celebrate incredible, wonderful, blessed life you are enjoying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being 30 isn't all that bad, trust me. You just need to remember it's just a number, the age you feel is more important. Sure you can't act like you are 22, but who want's to act like they are 22? Have you seen the girls on campus? Anyways, I think you need to look back at all you have accomplished in only 30 years and be pretty dang proud of yourself, and then maybe 30 won't seem so bad!

    ReplyDelete