Thursday, March 25, 2010

Philosophies for Life: Day 3

Today's Philosophy:

3. Celebrate.

I thought a lot about what today's philosophy, and decided that since it's my 30th birthday I should go with Celebrate.

I'm a firm believe in celebrating. I love making a big deal out of holidays and birthdays. I love the decorations and gift giving. I love being together with family and friends. They're specials days of the year that are joyous. However, in the past few years I've come to believe in celebrating the small stuff as well.

Things like a sunny day or cleaning up the basement. The chief learning to tie his shoes or Zu Zu painting a gallery's worth of pictures.

It may seem silly to celebrate things that are so regular, but doing so makes everyone in the family happier. The kids smile more and laugh easier on days when we "celebrate". I'm happier (which makes everyone happier).

These small moments don't have to turn into huge ordeals. Order takeout or eat outside. Do a special project. Watch a movie on a school night. Little things like that can make the most normal of days feel special.

Big occasions often get captured on film so they can last a lifetime. But the small celebrations make up all the time in between those pictures and I, for one, remember those moments fondly. They are the moments that make up the regular days for our family.

So I want to know, what small moments do you celebrate?

Cheers everyone,
samwise

1 comment:

  1. Happy 30th!!!
    I like celebrating good Friday folders from school for son #1 or any new word son #2 says! One of my favorite ways to celebrate...Ice cream.

    ReplyDelete