Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Philosophies for Life: Day 2

Today's Philosophy:

2. Make food. Eat food. Together.

Again, sounds totally unoriginal doesn't it. I mean, who in this world can go without eating? However, I would argue that not everyone who eats food makes it.

Just ask the Brain. He's only allowed to cook a few things. That probably seems ridiculous on my part, but cooking brings me inner peace and I don't want to let those moments slip away. Plus, I'm a better cook than he is.

Anyway, I believe cooking is rooted in love. For me, cooking a meal is one way for me to say I love you to my family. We eat dinner together every night and it's a great way to spend time together.

Also, I want to equip our children with a healthy understanding of food. We live in an era of fast food and eating disorders, so it's our responsibility to help our kids navigate the chaos of choices out there. We try to emphasize well-rounded eating (though admittedly I'm not always great at it). But, my hope is that the kids will come away from our meal times with a healthy view of food and how to eat that they can carry with them always.

My cooking runs the gambit of multi-ethnic flavors and often we'll have to convince the kids to try what's in front of them. The prodding can be annoying, but I like to think that I'm helping my kids learn to be adventurous. Maybe that's just the delusional side of me talking, but I think they'll thank me one day for serving them Bi Bim Bop.

So, find a way to exercise your inner cook. For the inexperienced try making homemade mac-n-cheese instead of the blue box. For the more adventurous, take on something more challenging like making pierogies (including the dough).

Tell me, readers, what do you love to cook? If you need some suggestions, just ask. Cooking is my specialty.

Cheers,
samwise


2 comments:

  1. Love the Philosophies of Life so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to let Kyle cook sometimes, even though he makes a bigger mess. He's actually quite good at it. He makes the fried rice, chicken parmesan, thai curries, and occasionally a surprise baked good like lime coconut muffins.

    ReplyDelete