Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Philosophies for Life

I thought I would start a list to get myself to blog a little more. I'm always trying to convince myself that something aught to motivate me, so I'm going to begin with a list on Philosophies for Life. Everyone has specific ideas they view as essential to life. Here's the first of my essentials (in no particular order).

Today's Philosophy:

1. Read books. Daily.

I know, I know. It's certainly not a unique idea. But, have you ever stopped to think about exactly what you read during the day? Emails, blogs, online news articles, magazines, newspapers, food labels....the list could go on and on and never once mention a book.

I'm currently in the middle of reading two books, a task I've never taken on before. Not only is that new for me, but both books are non-fiction which is really random. Those of you that know me best, probably know that I've never finished a non-fiction book in my life (not even in college - much to my prof.'s dismay). Admittedly, I rarely pick up non-fiction material, so this is me aspiring to new heights.

Anyway, the books I'm currently reading and enjoying are: The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and Reading like a Writer by Francine Prose. On top of those, I'm about to add a fiction book to the mix - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. We'll see how it goes.

So, why is "Read books. Daily" one of my philosophies? Severals reasons actually, but here are just a few.

1. I want my kids to love reading. Therefore they should see me reading, often.
2. Reading expands your knowledge, as well as your vocabulary.
3. Reading is relaxing. It's one of my favorite ways to slow down and enjoy the moment.

So tell me, my few faithful readers, why do you read books? And what books are you reading right now?

Cheers!
samwise

1 comment:

  1. Don't start Hunger Games unless you have Catching Fire next! I really liked them both. Excited for the 3rd one to come out in August.

    ReplyDelete